Sometimes, you just can’t go wrong with the simple classics. Mac and Cheese with a twist anyone?
This Green Chile Mac makes a great meal for the whole family no matter the spice level you can handle, or if you decide to add some chicken for that extra substance.
Using authentic green chile from New Mexican Connection takes this to the next level.
No matter how you decide to serve it up - the creamy and delicious green chile mac and cheese is certain to bring back memories, and will have the whole family reaching for more.
This recipe was modified from Recipe Runner
New Mexico Green Chile Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 pound whole wheat macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup roasted New Mexican Connection green chiles, diced
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite cheese shredded
- Optional: chopped chicken
- In a large pot bring the water to a boil, add in some salt, and cook the macaroni according to the box instructions.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain the water out
- In the same pot over medium high heat, melt the butter and add in the diced onion.
- Saute the onion in the butter for 2 minutes and
- Add and whisk the flour into the butter mixture and let it cook for about a minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and salt, make sure to get the sauce smooth.
- Continue whisking for about 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened
- Turn the oven on to broil.
- Add in the New Mexican Connection Green Chiles and 1 1/4 cups of the cheese.
- Stir until all of the cheese has melted.
- Add the pasta back into the pot and toss until it is completely covered in the sauce.
- Optional: Mix in your chicken
- Spray a cast iron skillet or baking dish with cooking spray
- Transfer the mac and cheese to that dish
- Top with the remainder of the cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese is slightly brown and melted.
- Serve immediately.
If you want to print this or download it, Click Here for a PDF Version of the recipe.