Shredded chicken - cooked in a delicious mixture of chiles, peppers, and seasonings served over rice. YUM!
This is the perfect meal to create dinner time family conversation and create memories together.
This recipe makes about 8 servings to enjoy. For best results and a powerful flavor - use our Authentic New Mexico Chile.
This recipe was modified from Bon Appétit.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 small bunch cilantro, trimmed, stems and leaves separated
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked
- 4 Italian frying peppers
- ½ Bag of New Mexican Connection Frozen Chile
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Steamed rice
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Combine chicken, cilantro stems, 1 onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, cumin seeds, honey, salt, and black peppercorns
- Add water to cover and bring to a simmer
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and simmer very gently until chicken is cooked through - about 25 minutes
- Remove chicken from pot and shred it into bite-size pieces
- Strain broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl; set aside.
- Arrange tomatillos and peppers in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast (if not already roasted, stirring occasionally, until charred, 12–15 minutes.
- Transfer peppers to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic; let steam for 15 minutes,
- Peel and seed the peppers and thawed chile.
- Combine peppers, chiles, and tomatillos in a food processor and purée, adding reserved broth as necessary, until a coarse purée forms.
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add remaining 1 onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized in spots, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in chile purée and remaining reserved broth; bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add chicken.
- Serve stew over rice and garnish with cilantro leaves.
Download and Print This Recipe by Clicking Here