Stratas and casseroles are great because they are easy to make and easy to take on the go. And who doesn’t love them...
This recipe specifically, you are able to make the night before so it makes it even better for entertaining.
And with adding in the chile, you get an extra boost of flavor and spice!
This recipe was modified from Garlic and Zest.
- 6 cups country bread stale, diced into 3/4" cubes
- 1 1/2 cups New Mexican Connection Chiles
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Spray a large 13 x 9 x 2" casserole dish with vegetable spray and set aside.
- Peel, de-seed and dice the New Mexican Connection Green Chile
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
- Add the diced bell peppers and onions, sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.
- Saute the vegetables until softened or for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the diced chilies and continue to saute until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, and add the remaining kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the milk and whisk to combine.
- Add the bread cubes to the casserole dish and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle with one cup each of the monterey jack and cheddar cheeses.
- Sprinkle the peppers in an even layer over the cheeses.
- Pour the egg mixture over the peppers and sprinkle on the remaining cup of monterey jack and half cup of cheddar.
- Lightly press the contents into the egg mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and bake the strata uncovered for 45-55 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Click Here to Download a PDF of the Recipe