This recipe is found in our NM COOKBOOK "LAS COMIDAS DE LOS ABUELOS" FOOD OF OUR GRANDPARENTS. There are over 100 recipes from history in here! Try this historic Queso Blanco! Questions? Just ask!
- 2 quarts goat milk
- 1 tablet Rennet
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Milk the goat.
- Strain the milk with the cheesecloth.
- Add 1 tablet of rennet.
- Let the milk stand at room temp. For 24 hours.
- Using the cheesecloth, separate the whey from the curdled milk.
- Using an ice pick, make several holes in the bottom of an empty coffee can.
- Add the milk to the can.
- Place bowl under it to catch the excess liquid.
- Stir the milk, further separating it from the whey.
- Once the whey is completely gone, add the salt and oregano to the ball of cheese.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before serving.