rWe thThis recipe combines three of the best ingredients on the planet. How could you go wrong by eating this ivcfuspectacular meal? Let’s just say it’s easy to make a meal out of it.
Modified recipe and picture from: I am New Mexico
- 1/2 lb Bacon cooked (crispy)
- 2 cup Flour
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1 tbs Baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- 1 Egg; beaten
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1-1/2 c Shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Hatch, New Mexico Green chile (thawed, peeled, seeded, and chopped)
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy.
- Drain the bacon but reserve the drippings.
- Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center.
- Measure the drippings, add vegetable oil, if necessary to measure 1/3 cup.
- Combine the drippings with the egg and milk.
- Add to the flour mixture into the well and stir until moist.
- Batter will be lumpy.
- Carefully fold in the bacon, cheese and green chile.
- Use amount of green chile to your taste.
- Grease muffin tins and fill about 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.