Who doesn’t love a good cheddar biscuit?
And it only gets better when you add some authentic New Mexican Chiles.
Whether you have it for breakfast, or a side dish at dinner time, or a random snack in the middle of the day - it’s always better with Green Chile.
This recipe is modified from Spoon Fork Bacon!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen and grated
- ¼ bag of New Mexican Connection Frozen Green Chiles
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 400˚F
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl
- Fold in the cold, grated butter until the mixture is crumbly
- Peel and dice the Green Chile
- Fold in the Green Chiles and cheese
- Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and stir in buttermilk.
- Place the dough onto a clean and lightly floured surface
- Gently knead the dough until it just comes together and no dry spots remain.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough until 1/2 inch thick and trifold.
- Roll the dough again until 1/2 inch thick and trifold the other direction.
- Repeat rolling and tri-folding four more times and on the last roll out allow dough to be 3/4 to 1 inch thick .
- Using a circle cutter, cut biscuits from the dough, making sure not to twist as you cut into the dough with the cutter
- Gently push the scraps together and roll out and trifold twice, before cutting out more biscuits.
- Place biscuits on to a baking sheet, lined with parchment, about 3/4 inch apart
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove biscuits from refrigerator and bake for 12 minutes. Remove biscuits from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter. Place biscuits back into the oven and continue to bake for another 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove biscuits from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow biscuits to cool for about 10 minutes before serving warm. Biscuits go great with butter and honey.
Click Here to download the PDF version.